Saturday, 21 December 2013

Improving mood.

I can't remember who gave me the idea, but I have a small, special notebook and a special pen by my bed. Every night I write the date followed by three good things that happened that day. They can be big or small things, e.g. doing some art, my son telling me he loves me, completing a chore that I'd been putting off, or just having a nice chat to someone.

I keep it to three things each day, so I have a lovely record of strictly positive thoughts and feelings. Looking back I can see that every day is a good day if you look at it in the right way. Because of this I find myself noticing the good things that happen during the day more and more.

This is a quote someone posted on facebook which helps me: "On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%, and that's pretty good".

Rachel
A Moodscope User.

4 comments:

  1. 100%! Wow! Why it's even better than the best odds you'll get in any betting shop, better than the best bargain knock-down reduction in a sale, total success, reaching your set targets, the very best. Life, my friends, is a blessing, an adventure. One day we will not be able to do the things we want without assistance, so we may as well do the best (100%) we can with what precious time we have left on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was going through depression, I started writing down everything I did that day just before bed. At the start it took a lot of energy to remember my day because I realised I didn't value anything I did or anything I contributed. I had assumed I was useless and crap. I realised by writing down everything, eg had breakfast, described breakfast, what tv I watched, any particular good bits, who I met, what work I had on and continued right upto bed time, that my mood reflected the day I had. If I hadn't included anything nice for myself and had just worked or pushed myself all day I felt worse. I also then would expect my mood to be low when I realised what activities would reduce it and if I couldn't avoid them, so I didn't give myself a hard time when I came home miserable! I learned alot about myself by doing this and gained a greater understanding of my likes and dislikes and my emotional reaction to different situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often remind myself when feeling exhausted and low that I have felt like this before, (worse even) and survived.Your post nerakco is very moving. It makes me feel sad to read it but what survivor you are to go through all this, and come out the other side with such a powerful understanding and acceptance of your mood. It sounds as if you are in a much happier place now. Great stuff. And cheers Rachel for reminding me about the 100% survival rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, was beginning to not bother to read comments as I found them either full of things I had tried, not applicable to me, or just weird. However, have not tried your idea, it sounds really useful and ties in with CBT principles that I have been struggling with of late as my mood has been too low to engage. Many thanks - I am back reading! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete