Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Emotional ambush.

Funny, emotions can creep up and surprise you at times. David the psychologist and I recently watched a dismal England football match in the pub. After it was it over, a little lad of about seven wearing an England shirt held out his hands to his dad as if to say 'what was that all about?' Out of nowhere, it actually got me a bit teary-eyed. Not a good look when you're surrounded by football supporters, but I think it was to do with me identifying that he was disappointed, and wishing he didn't have to be.

Then synchronicity struck, when one of the blogs I follow mentioned author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia, who once judged a contest whose purpose was to find the most caring child. The winner was a four-year-old whose next-door neighbour was an elderly man who'd recently lost his wife. Seeing him cry, the little boy went into the old man's garden, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his mother asked what he'd said to the neighbour, the little boy said, 'Nothing. I just helped him cry.' Sometimes it can good to shed a tear.