Thursday, 7 March 2013

Variety is the spice of life

Although Germans are apparently still keen on buying music CDs, I understand that sales in the UK and US are considerably down. I certainly buy fewer new releases than I did (I don't believe it's simply an age thing, as I'm still a big fan of new stuff - but I'm more inclined to listen to it online these days). However, I still love a good charity shop bargain, especially when it's a compilation CD with a variety of artists and tracks.

The spontaneity wears off after a while, of course, but I think there's much to be said for listening to music when you don't know what's coming next. Some radio stations offer this. But doesn't this thought carry much further than music? Whenever you can, it's helpful to introduce variety into your life. Doing the same old things every day can leave you in the same old mood. But making changes, doing things in different ways, thinking different thoughts, can be the perfect way to perk yourself up.

So listen to something new today. Read a magazine you wouldn't normally pick up. Chat to someone with whom you've not spoken before. Today's a new day. Why not let its new-ness drive your approach to it? Even if only a little.