Thursday, 21 March 2013

Giving the game away.

Back in the days when I wasn't as open about the ups and downs of my mood as I am today, I used to imagine that others had no idea how I was feeling. I figured 'I'd wear my mask' - the one you think nobody can see through - and to some degree it worked, but only to a certain extent. I think your mood leaks out in more ways than you may believe. One friend says he sees my true state in my eyes. Another in my voice. A third in the way I walk (upright and all's fine, stooped and it isn't). These physiological markers make sense. But a new one on me (and a fascinating one) came from Pete, a good 'real-life' friend who I don't see as often as we'd like - because of the distance - but with whom I'm friends on Facebook.

Now I don't normally message him through Facebook - we phone or email - but of course your Facebook friends do see anything else you may post to the site. Things like your own status updates, or your comments on other people's. And Pete had detected that things might not be right for me because I'd 'gone a bit quiet'. Isn't it intriguing that it might sometimes be an absence of behaviour that can give the game away? It's definitely worth thinking about this with your own friends, and if there's someone who's gone a bit quiet, why not send them a quick email or text today? Tell them Jon sent you.