Saturday, 9 February 2013

Take five.

I'm the world's worst when it comes to taking time out. I wish I wasn't, but something inside me seems to stop me stopping.

I know I'm not alone. I'm certain you'll have gone through this yourself from time to time or (I do hope not) as unreasonably and unceasingly as I'm inclined to do.

But the thing is, when I do slow right down and take time off, the clarity of my thinking improves to an enormous extent. Problems that seemed insurmountable appear much more manageable with the perspective afforded by a rested mind and a brain that's no longer frazzled.

Often it's not good enough to expect that an opportunity to rest will pop up by accident. It needs to be planned, and put in your diary in indelible pen - just as if it was a vital appointment or a crucial meeting.

Don't wait too long to do this for yourself. I spoke to the wife of a retired clergyman the other day who said that when she got home from the shops, her husband told her that he'd booked them a fortnight's vacation.

Now that's the way to do it.