Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Stop thinking, start living.

I don't know if you're like me, but I can find myself avoiding books just because they're popular. Seeing them everywhere I go seems to put me off them for some odd reason.

It was therefore good recently to be persuaded by my friend Ali to read Richard Carlson's 'Stop Thinking, Start Living' - definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of self-help books.

Among a host of other useful reflections, Carlson reminds us that how you feel is very much driven by what you think.

And to a large degree you can control what you think.

I listen to the radio in the bathroom in the mornings, and even on days when I may not be feeling so great I'll become aware that a funny remark by the presenter has got me smiling. In this moment I've clearly stopped dwelling on negativity to smile at a joke instead.

Not surprisingly thinking about negative stuff can make you feel bad.

So why not make a deliberate effort today to send black thoughts packing?

You have the power to do this. You really do.