Sunday, 3 February 2013

Honest Jon.

I remember an unusual meeting a while ago, which began with a five minute discussion about my mood.

Unlike other meetings (I'm sure I was never told about) when my mood had also featured on the agenda, at least I was there for this one.

It happened to be a time when I was feeling on less than sparkling form. After many years of trying to hide my mood when it was low, I'd reached a stage when it seemed sensible to be more open about things.

Actually it was extremely sensible. We were discussing a project which would need my full engagement and energy, and if I wasn't going to be fully on the case, it was better for us all to acknowledge this upfront.

Now if there'd been a piece of mission-critical equipment that was playing up, of course we'd have talked about it.

But the thing is, it did feel a little self-indulgent, a little selfish, to confess to being somewhat on the glum side.

So I had to ask myself how I'd have felt if another team member had promised to deliver, in the full knowledge that they couldn't, due to feeling below par.

I wouldn't have been happy. I'd certainly rather have known upfront.

It probably helps to see things through others' eyes in such situations. And it almost certainly helps to be more open about the way you feel, certainly among people you trust and on whom you depend (and vice versa).