Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Give yourself a break.

You've got too much to do. We all have too much to do.

But you only have one life. Only so much time to fit in everything you believe you're supposed to do.

I often struggle with this myself. The amount on my Moodscope To-Do list is never-ending. If I could work 24-hour days for the next year, I still wouldn't have ticked everything off.

Sometimes I let this get to me. But most of the time I think it helps to ignore those nagging worries about The List, and simply to get on with living in the moment, getting done what I can today, and knowing that tomorrow's another day - another chance to tackle another batch of stuff.

I can't always block out the big picture worries for long, but putting in an hour at a time seems to work.

I'm sure it seems odd, but one of my most useful pieces of kit is an electronic kitchen timer. It's flashing away in front of me right now in fact. I've given myself sixty minutes to do some writing, and have a target of what I need to get done before it emits its plaintive little beep.

You've got too much to do. You won't get it all done today.

So give yourself a target and block out a shortish chunk of time. You'll probably surprise yourself when you achieve more than you think you would.

As I just have. There goes the beep.