Monday, 24 December 2012

Moist eyes.

Now and then I think we all find ourselves falling back on the old excuse that we've 'got something in our eye'.

I certainly did a day or so ago when I was in the audience of a Christmas concert right in the heart of London. I was perfectly alright until a choir of school children stood up to sing carols, some of whose verses we were meant to sing along with.

Unfortunately although I did my best to join in, the lump in my throat and the tear in my eye made it just about impossible. Where the heck did that emotion come from?

One minute I was fine, the next I was trying to perform the physically impossible art of sucking the tears back in.

Some crying feels unquestionably bad. OK, it may be better to get the unhappiness out of your system, but tears when you already know you're upset just aren't the same as the emotional trickles that sneak up on you and take you by surprise.

They may not realise it, but I think most people can benefit from a cry now and then, even if (perhaps specially if) they're a truck-driver or road-mender.

As I send this, it's the day before Christmas, just about guaranteeing that there'll be emotion-provoking moments in the hours to come. It might be a tune on the radio, something on the TV, a few words spoken by someone, or of course that old chestnut children singing carols.

When the tears come, I think you just have to welcome them. Even though you may not be delighted to shed them, their appearance serves a purpose. They're almost certainly better out than in.

Naturally it's good to hope for happy days ahead, but if and when you find you have the odd bit of seasonal grit in your eye, just recognise that it's all part of your mind sorting itself out.

It's OK, it really is. And it's part of what makes you human.